Thursday, March 24, 2016

Birthday Camping and the Farm

Shina asked to go camping for his birthday last minute. His birthday is on St.Patrick's Day which is often during Spring Break. Most campsites were booked and so we ended up going to a new place which was pretty nice...and expensive. We typically camp at state parks, but this time we set up home in the Sam Houston National Forest. There was no little general store with ice and worms, but drinking is allowed in the campsite. The important things.

It was supposed to rain. 80% chance. We were ready for some muddy fun, but not a drop!






 Shadow Theater.




Scooter gangs roamed the streets.








The boys played war with their new guns.


A little baseball.


Flipping out of hammocks is always fun.




Fishing.






Right as the sun was setting and I was trying out the settings (pun intended) on my new camera, the battery died. I believe Wale unplugged the charger and cord and took it somewhere odd. I cannot find it. I have only used it once. Perhaps he was pretending it was some kind of Power Ranger gadget.




After a couple of nights camping, we took some cool back roads to get to the farm. Grandpa is making progress in the saloon. There is a bar now and a new wagon wheel chandelier.



Ayomide and I compared some of the plant life at the farm to that at the campsite.


We found Marley a new shirt at a garage sale in town.


Spring babies.



This is the mighty tree in which we will build the kids a tree house. I say "we" but I mean "grandpa." I will probably just be trying to keep little rascals fed and out of his way.


There was no treasure map to be found this visit, but we took a little hike anyway. Side note: Grandpa was able to convince the kids that Garage Sale signs were in fact a treasure map and that Marley's new shirt was the treasure. Hmmm.



The property borders the national forest (a different one than the one we camped in) and we wanted to explore.



All of the recent rain has created a little sandbar that the kids and dogs really enjoyed.


Shina getting in his BB gun practice.


So now we are back home and I am trying to get back into a little homeschooling routine before our next trip (probably to the Hill Country). I have mounds of laundry, a three year old that wants to do nothing but watch Power Rangers on Netflix, and a six year old with an interest only in fishing, hunting, guns, battleships, and fighting jets. I focus so much on the girls (and the two girls that I tutor in my home) and I feel like a switch in focus is needed. These boys of mine need some attention! Perhaps a trip to the library with just them. We can check out all sorts of books, expand our horizons...beyond energems and dino chargers. I will be sure to let you know how that goes...

1 comment:

  1. What a fun way to celebrate a birthday. Your family is adorable!

    ReplyDelete