Breathe in. Breathe out.
I am an introvert. I need time and space and nothing on my schedule.
November has been hectic (relative to my simple life).
December is December. It's what I make it.
January is fresh.
I worry about math, but guess what? There are no educational emergencies. We will find out what works along the way. It doesn't have to be planned. It will come naturally (I took these notes while listening to the latest Brave Writer podcast). For now, Taven and Naia are continuing with Horizons and Eaden is doing a little bit of Saxon here and there because it is what we have. I am going to use my cleaning money after Christmas to buy her Teaching Textbooks. I've been doing a lot of research and I think it will be a good fit. The nice thing about having done Horizons for K-3/4 is that it is pretty much a year ahead. She can skip a grade in almost every curriculum.
December is going to be empty...ish. I keep wanting to make these grand homemade gifts but I am telling myself no. I am going to relax, read, write, play games, and craft with the kids. We are going to light candles and listen to Christmas music. The homeschool will get back on track with the new year. It always does. However, we will still do what we are doing. Which is a bit here and there when we feel the urge.
So...as I think about how to approach our homeschool, I think about:
What works for us?
Brave Writer
Games
All About Spelling
Documentaries and movie nights
Silent reading
Read alouds
Read alouds
What to try?
Book Shark History Level 3 (This is American history through 1850 taught using historical fiction. I am not purchasing the curriculum, just stealing their book list. I will also add some Brave Writer books with Arrow guides and some more recently published works as well. We will use what we can find at the library, keep a timeline, and a family narration journal.)
Teaching Textbooks Math
Guest Hollow Botany (Free online. Books from library.)
What do the kids love?
Eaden: Pets/wildlife, reading, music, and dance
Naia: Art, writing, and culinary arts
Taven: Sports, stats, and reading
Mirek: I'm not sure. Perhaps performance? Playing with fire...Defying me...
Lela: Animals, babies, and brushing hair
Lela: Animals, babies, and brushing hair
_______________________________________
Here are a few pictures from our recent camping trip to Lake Livingston State Park with Naia's Girl Scout troop. Despite me thinking Mirek was lost and dead and calling 911, we had a great time. Long story. He was asleep.
Lake Livingston is more than halfway to the farm, so we went there next!
The treasure hunt taught compass skills.
How Lela plays with the dogs.
My favorite picture. Doesn't she just melt your heart?
My husband finally became a U.S. citizen!
Congrats!!!
Here are a few pictures from our recent camping trip to Lake Livingston State Park with Naia's Girl Scout troop. Despite me thinking Mirek was lost and dead and calling 911, we had a great time. Long story. He was asleep.
Lake Livingston is more than halfway to the farm, so we went there next!
The treasure hunt taught compass skills.
How Lela plays with the dogs.
My favorite picture. Doesn't she just melt your heart?
My husband finally became a U.S. citizen!
Congrats!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment