I'm finally done planning and acquiring everything we need for the homeschool year! Phew! It took a minute.
One thing I want to make clear is that if we get the urge to drive to Utah for a month or simply go on a short Texas road trip for a week, we will! This schedule will still be here waiting when we get back!
I am planning two months at a time down to the day. I will have all papers copied and ready in folders for at least one month in advance. At some point during the current two month term I will need to plan the following two months. The hard work is mostly done though. Our schedule and resources shouldn't change. One fairly big change that will occur during the year is that after we finish the Renaissance/Early Modern period for history I am going to use solely Bookshark 4 and History Odyssey Level 2 for the Modern period. Instead of using lower level resources and adapting for higher grades, I will use a higher level resource and adapt for the lower. It will also mean I am coordinating less history resources. I don't like all of Bookshark and so I leave some out. I try to add in some more diverse literature as well and use Story of the World to provide some perspective (what was going on at the same time in other areas of the world). Also, I like The History of US better as a spine than Beginner's American History and that change takes a lot of planning as well.
One thing I want to make clear is that if we get the urge to drive to Utah for a month or simply go on a short Texas road trip for a week, we will! This schedule will still be here waiting when we get back!
I am planning two months at a time down to the day. I will have all papers copied and ready in folders for at least one month in advance. At some point during the current two month term I will need to plan the following two months. The hard work is mostly done though. Our schedule and resources shouldn't change. One fairly big change that will occur during the year is that after we finish the Renaissance/Early Modern period for history I am going to use solely Bookshark 4 and History Odyssey Level 2 for the Modern period. Instead of using lower level resources and adapting for higher grades, I will use a higher level resource and adapt for the lower. It will also mean I am coordinating less history resources. I don't like all of Bookshark and so I leave some out. I try to add in some more diverse literature as well and use Story of the World to provide some perspective (what was going on at the same time in other areas of the world). Also, I like The History of US better as a spine than Beginner's American History and that change takes a lot of planning as well.
Starting in September, Eaden will begin taking Spanish online through Brigham Young University. It's going to be tough getting her work done for July and August because she goes to dance at 2. So we are holding off on Spanish for a bit, but she will continue with Duolingo until then.
We are attempting to go heavy on the math (our weakness), but I can already feel the resistance on all fronts. We can shoot for the stars and if we make it to the moon, I'll be happy. We shall see.
We are using the Well Planned Day planners. I used the main planner last year and loved it. The kids bought ones at Target, but I bought them the student planners from Well Planned Day this year. If they're anything like mine, they will be great.
The only items we do not have are the kids' binders, dividers, and composition notebooks. I am going to let them pick out what they want (the girls are out of town now) and set them up on July 1st.
With Mirek, I am focusing on reading. We will continue at a steady pace with math and handwriting, but I am going to plan multiple short reading lessons throughout each day. I will continue to read out loud a lot to him and Lela. He will join everyone for the first half of morning time which means he will soak up a lot of history and science. He can then go play with Legos. Once I am done with the older kids and they go off to do independent work, he will complete his lessons with me. I am using All About Reading and All About Spelling with him. He also does some Explode the Code, Handwriting Without Tears, and Draw Write Now. He is using Horizons Math. I will also be helping him with one Jot it Down project per term (6 over the year). He will also do nature study.
Here is a link to a detailed plan with the days mapped out and how the binders will be set up.
2019-2020 Homeschool Plan
Here is a more quick overview.
July 2019-June 2020
2 month terms, 6 terms – 32 days homeschool per term or 16 days per
month = 192 days/year
Morning Time
History = Part Bookshark, Part Story of the World, Part A History
of US then Bookshark (US focus) and History Odyssey for Modern when done with Renaissance/Early
Modern
Science = Build Your Library Darwin & Evolution (40 lessons
over 8 weeks), Scholastic Earth Study, Ocean First Oceanography
Loop One = Learning to Study, Note Taking, Draw the World, Reader’s
Theater, Games specifically Timeline and Math, Poetry Teatime, Freewrite, CNN
10 and NEWSELA (2x through loop per month)
Loop Two = Grammar and Partnership Writing every other day
Grammar = First
Language Lessons 8-9 lessons per month or every other day
Partnership Writing
(one project per term)
Literature = Arrow on odd days
Independent
Work
Math = Teaching Textbooks 1 lesson per day, move on to next level
when done; Critical Thinking 2 pages per day (Eaden and Naia); Math Reasoning 3
per month (days 1, 5, 9) or once a week (Taven), Interactive Math Notebooks
(days 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16)
Loop Three = Music and Cursive every other day
Music = Hoffman
Academy
Cursive = Pentime
Penmanship
Loop Four = Spelling Workout and Wordly Wise, 3 sw 3 ww 3 sw 3 ww 3 sw
1 ww (tests)
Spelling = Spelling
Workout 36 lessons over 12 months or 3 lessons per month, 1 lesson per 3 days
plan
Vocabulary = Wordly
Wise 20 lessons over 12 months or 2 lessons per month (finish early), day 1 –
read vocab & make flash cards, A day 2 – B, C, D, day 3 – E
Loop Five = Literature and
Spanish every other day
Literature = Arrow (with
help from me) or Boomerang (independent)
Spanish – Duolingo or
BYU
Free Read = 30 minutes per day
Wednesday
Evenings
Art = drawing
animals, watercolor landscapes (with Daddy)
___________________________________
Our main homeschool area. Previously, we had done Morning Time in the living room and everyone lounged around on the couches. We are going official this year and sitting at the table!
Extra math resources in addition to Teaching Textbooks and Critical Thinking Co. resources.
Resources for our Darwin/Evolution unit.
Most of the history resources for the next two months. I think all I am missing is the book Chains which I will get from the library at a later date.
Our crate system! I have a crate with files for the 32 days in the term. This is where I keep copies of all the papers we will need for each day. I will transfer them to the kids' crates each week. Their crates have folders with the days of the week and all of their workbooks inside. Getting organized folks!
Our art supplies.
Mirek's nature study table.
I am going to try to keep this space updated with our progress! See you soon!
No comments:
Post a Comment