Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Mother's Day and Brazos Bend

I'm starting to think about what curriculum to use next with the kids as they are getting close to finishing math, vocab, and spelling. The girls started their new history two months or so ago and Taven will just move on to American Studies 1850-present. I will be mixing BYL Level 6 with Bookshark 4. I just have the teacher's guides and get what books I can from the library. There are books in Bookshark that we do not like and ones that we would rather read from BYL. Mirek is going to do Bookshark B World History 1. I thought that would be the most interesting for him and I was able to find the Teacher's Guide used. We are moving on from Spelling and Wordly Wise for now. We do plenty of copywork and dictation so the spelling might be out for good. They still need to do some sort of word study. We will probably switch things up and then return to Wordly Wise later. I am looking into Critical Thinking Company. Eaden will do Guest Hollow Cultures and Geography... I think. Taven and Naia still need to practice cursive.

It will probably take another month and a half to finish math. They will start their new levels in August. I am looking into still using Saxon for Taven and Naia but not as much repetition and adding in Critical Thinking Co. (math detective and the general math books) because they like it more. I want to show how and why the math is useful and work more on the board and with manipulatives. Eaden seems fine, but should join group lessons. One week per topic that is actually used in life. Like figuring out tax, measurements for cooking, word problems with multiplication and division, etc. Also, if there is something that they are struggling with, we can all do it together on the board for a few days. I think they just dread the Saxon book. We are not switching curriculum though. It works fine.

Bookshark 4 Science? We started but did not finish because I didn't have the books. Now I have the books so I will complete it with somebody. Not sure who yet. I haven't been crazy about Bookshark science at all so I will likely pick and choose what we do. Here is a description of the course:

"Students explore electricity, magnetism, light, color, microscopes, astronomy and space, inventions, chemistry, modern technology, and mechanical technology in early American life." 

We already did the electricity portion. I think it is mostly on level with Taven and Naia. Mirek will likely do Mystery Science and Magic School Bus science. I'm still working on Eaden...I'm thinking I might use the RSO that goes with BYL 6 (and the rest of the BYL science from that level) with her...

I'm thinking of doing the free constitution unit study from Bookshark and then doing the election lapbook after. Not sure yet. I'm a little burned out on government but I know this is the best time to do it with the pandemic going on and an election coming up. So I guess I will just suck it up.

Well that is my curriculum ramble. I will research more, see what I can locate, and finalize plans in the next couple of months.
____________________________________________

Now about myself. Covid has turned me into a pretty much vegetarian, almost vegan. I eat eggs from our chickens and I will eat deer meat from the freezer (that my son shot). I would eat the fish we catch as well but I'm not that big on fish, so probably not. This came about after watching Jane Goodall and Vandana Shiva talk about the wet markets, industrial meat production, how we are not living in harmony with the life of this planet (encroaching on their space, eating them, etc.) as well as seeing what the disruptions in the supply chain are doing to the meat industry. I already knew it was awful, but didn't have the willpower to give it up I guess. Buddhist thought is helping with that.

On that note, Covid has also turned me into a part Buddhist. So far, I am really into 95% of the teachings I have read. However, I am creating my own sort of personal philosophy based on what works for me.

I also watched the new Michael Moore documentary (yes I have read all of the criticism) and keep hearing Chomsky say how global warming is our biggest threat right now.

The Facebook arguments, the politics, the facts, everything was getting so overwhelming for me and my mind was racing so I turned to Buddhism. Back in the day my mind could race and it wasn't as big of a deal because I didn't have kids. I could delve further and further into it. Kids change everything. Reading Chomsky and the rest gives me anxiety now and makes me feel hopeless. What good would a hopeless mother in despair be? No good. So, once again, Buddhist thought is helping me to see the light. I am not a depressed person, but being at home so much with my books and internet has me going down these never ending rabbit holes. I need to climb back out.

I want to find simple blogs to follow, build a little like minded community for myself.

I read The Discourse on Happiness (as an ebook from the library). Very short but very helpful. Here is some of what I found comforting:

Every person, no matter what their wealth, is equally capable of practicing generosity...People whose lives are grounded in compassion are seldom rich because they share whatever they have with others. Practicing generosity means continually acting in a way that will help equalize the difference between the wealthy and the impoverished. Whatever we do to ease human suffering and create social justice can be considered practicing generosity. That is not to say that we must become active in any political system. To engage in partisan political action that leads to a power struggle among opposing parties and causes death and destruction is not what we mean by practicing generosity.

Knowing how to feel satisfied with few possessions destroys desire and greed. This means being content with material conditions that allow us to be healthy and strong enough to practice the Way. This is an effective way to cut through the net of passions and desires, attain a peaceful state of body and mind, have more time to help others, and be free to realize the highest goal: the development of concentration and understanding to attain realization. Knowing how to feel satisfied with few possessions helps us avoid buying unnecessarily and becoming part of an economic system that exploits others, and it enables us to decrease our involvement in the pollution of our environment.

From my IG post:



Before kids I spent a lot of time alone. Here I am in my early 20's with Thoreau's Walden. Now with Covid, I again have these vast stretches of day and night. I am feeling like perhaps I was lost a bit though in this quarantine and like I might have squandered much of this gift of space. I didn't sleep well last night and have been experiencing some anxiety. This anxiety isn't related to Covid, but more the nature of our society and the future of our planet. I feel some comfort reading the Buddha (along with the commentary of Thich Nhat Hanh): "Many gods and men are eager to know what are the greatest blessings which bring about a peaceful and happy life. Please, Tathagata, will you teach us?" (This is the Buddha's answer): "Not to be associated with the foolish ones, To live in the company of wise people, Honoring those who are worth honoring-This is the greatest happiness. To live in a good environment, To have planted good seeds And to realize that you are on the right path-That is the greatest happiness." Thich Nhat Hanh explains, "The greatest blessing is to have good, wise, kindhearted friends close by. We can't be happy unless we have a sane, healthy space within us and around us. We need a habitat that is beautiful and nourishing, and that gives us the safety and the freedom that we need...With our nourishing community around us, we can find the right path to stability, ease, and liberation. Having a path is wonderful. Seeing the path is already great happiness. There is no reason to be fearful or confused anymore. Once we have recognized the path, our sense of loss, confusion, and despair dissipate. Happiness becomes immediately possible."

I want to study more Buddhist thought and I have requested some books from the library and ordered a few as well.
_____________________________________________

We social distanced with family at my sister's house for Mother's Day. She has two new puppies.






The kids and I spent a day hiking at Brazos Bend State Park.

































Just what I needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment