I enjoy reading the homeschool day in the life series and wanted to contribute. However, I totally forgot about it until I read the weekend links this past week.
From Tuesday to Friday we went to our family beach house. I think of these last minute trips as somewhat typical of our homeschool style and so figured I'd turn our little getaway into a homeschool day in the life post.
I feel like I am always saying this, but in Texas, one must take advantage of the winter weather. Some days, staying in, reading, studying Latin, and making maps feels cozy and right. On other days, it does not.
Last week, it did not.
Going to the beach house in winter is fun because things are so different. Different weather, different fishing, different birds, and different beaches.
40 mph winds from the north blew all of the water out of the bay and the kids were able to explore the muddy bottom.
When the water did finally come up a bit, this fisherman got to work.
A homeschooling friend of mine came along with her daughters and we were having a conversation about the academic aspects of homeschooling and I said something like even if the academics are not where you would like, you know your daughter is a good person and that's reason enough to homeschool. Then we got to talking about how horrid and mean and nasty kids in school can be and how we are comforted by the fact that our kids do not have to socialize with "those public school kids."
Ha! Total homeschool mom talk. We are allowed to generalize, but yes, we know not ALL public school kids are horrid. Just 99%. Not your kid of course.
Anyway, my dad then chimed in and said "you mean they [my children] don't have to deal with the real world?" Ugghh. Really dad? Really? Don't make me get into the whole thirty seven year old kids locked in a small room together for 7 hours is not the real world. I didn't get into that. Actually, I didn't even reply. I went to bed dreaming of my kids not getting the chance to be bullied or getting the chance to bully like other kids in the real world do.
The next morning, over coffee, I quoted L.R. Knost to my dad: "It's not our job to toughen our children up to face a cruel and heartless world. It's our job to raise children who will make the world a little less cruel and heartless." Then I got him straight in his heart when I added "I'm not raising little Trumps." He said "you're right. I agree." Mmmhmm yep.
The water was still very low the next day, but there was just enough to find some sea creatures.
Beer is one of my absolute favorite things in the entire world. I often take pictures of it as if it were part of the family. Well it is... and part of every homeschool day... without fail.
The beach is never this clean in the summer. There is usually quite a bit of seaweed and a lot more trash.
One of the greatest things about homeschooling is the freedom to go to the beach at 1pm on a weekday. So radical right?
The majority of homeschooling families are ridiculously overscheduled and it stresses me out just to think about it. For me, one of the main attractions of homeschooling is the not being rushed along with the rush. I'm beginning to see how in the minority I am though.
A coastal nature trail.
Shells galore!
Stuffing pockets full of shells.
More beer.
I think he had a redfish, but lost it.
Even more beer!
My dad watches a lot of CNN (really just watches Trump in shock and awe) and so we were "treated" to the Republican debate. My kids are currently trying to memorize the presidents and the debate somehow sparked a conversation about assassinations. I told the kids about JFK and they bugged me to watch the Zapruder film. I gave in and immediately Seun was wide eyed and full of questions. She now wants to learn more about every president. I told her we could make a presidents binder with a section for each president. I think we will photocopy, print out, and write interesting facts. We will probably not do Greek Myths for a while except when they pertain to the Astronomy we are learning. We are nearly done with Astronomy though and cannot wait to start Memoria Press Insects.
Speaking of Astronomy, we brought along our star chart and were able to locate a lot of the constellations we have been learning about.
So that was more like 3 days in the life, but the point is that these free days are just as typical and important as the more structured days.
From Tuesday to Friday we went to our family beach house. I think of these last minute trips as somewhat typical of our homeschool style and so figured I'd turn our little getaway into a homeschool day in the life post.
I feel like I am always saying this, but in Texas, one must take advantage of the winter weather. Some days, staying in, reading, studying Latin, and making maps feels cozy and right. On other days, it does not.
Last week, it did not.
Going to the beach house in winter is fun because things are so different. Different weather, different fishing, different birds, and different beaches.
40 mph winds from the north blew all of the water out of the bay and the kids were able to explore the muddy bottom.
When the water did finally come up a bit, this fisherman got to work.
A homeschooling friend of mine came along with her daughters and we were having a conversation about the academic aspects of homeschooling and I said something like even if the academics are not where you would like, you know your daughter is a good person and that's reason enough to homeschool. Then we got to talking about how horrid and mean and nasty kids in school can be and how we are comforted by the fact that our kids do not have to socialize with "those public school kids."
Ha! Total homeschool mom talk. We are allowed to generalize, but yes, we know not ALL public school kids are horrid. Just 99%. Not your kid of course.
Anyway, my dad then chimed in and said "you mean they [my children] don't have to deal with the real world?" Ugghh. Really dad? Really? Don't make me get into the whole thirty seven year old kids locked in a small room together for 7 hours is not the real world. I didn't get into that. Actually, I didn't even reply. I went to bed dreaming of my kids not getting the chance to be bullied or getting the chance to bully like other kids in the real world do.
The next morning, over coffee, I quoted L.R. Knost to my dad: "It's not our job to toughen our children up to face a cruel and heartless world. It's our job to raise children who will make the world a little less cruel and heartless." Then I got him straight in his heart when I added "I'm not raising little Trumps." He said "you're right. I agree." Mmmhmm yep.
The water was still very low the next day, but there was just enough to find some sea creatures.
Beer is one of my absolute favorite things in the entire world. I often take pictures of it as if it were part of the family. Well it is... and part of every homeschool day... without fail.
The beach is never this clean in the summer. There is usually quite a bit of seaweed and a lot more trash.
One of the greatest things about homeschooling is the freedom to go to the beach at 1pm on a weekday. So radical right?
The majority of homeschooling families are ridiculously overscheduled and it stresses me out just to think about it. For me, one of the main attractions of homeschooling is the not being rushed along with the rush. I'm beginning to see how in the minority I am though.
A coastal nature trail.
Shells galore!
Stuffing pockets full of shells.
More beer.
I think he had a redfish, but lost it.
Even more beer!
My dad watches a lot of CNN (really just watches Trump in shock and awe) and so we were "treated" to the Republican debate. My kids are currently trying to memorize the presidents and the debate somehow sparked a conversation about assassinations. I told the kids about JFK and they bugged me to watch the Zapruder film. I gave in and immediately Seun was wide eyed and full of questions. She now wants to learn more about every president. I told her we could make a presidents binder with a section for each president. I think we will photocopy, print out, and write interesting facts. We will probably not do Greek Myths for a while except when they pertain to the Astronomy we are learning. We are nearly done with Astronomy though and cannot wait to start Memoria Press Insects.
Speaking of Astronomy, we brought along our star chart and were able to locate a lot of the constellations we have been learning about.
So that was more like 3 days in the life, but the point is that these free days are just as typical and important as the more structured days.
That was a great quote you shared with your dad! My kids were in public school before we woke up to the beauty of homeschooling so we know all about the socialization that goes on there! Definitely not any kind of socializing we miss! Loved the pictures. We are laid back homeschoolers, too. We love our relaxed days.
ReplyDelete"...these free days are just as typical and important as the more structured days."
ReplyDeleteYES! YES! YES! Love this. We also are "underscheduled" but we love it. We're not just getting an education, we're making memories. We're chasing joy.