Sunday, August 14, 2016

Homeschool curriculum

We have been going by our homeschool schedule for some time, but starting Monday Lynni will come Mon - Thur from 9:30 - 2. Our schedule is pretty much staying the same with Lynni coming but the subjects may change a bit. We are not doing spanish as a group (I am sure Seun will do it on her own voluntarily) and I have given grammar and reading their own day. Also, as soon as I get the book, Seun and Lynni will start 4th grade Saxon Grammar and Writing. I bought the teacher guide and student workbook used at the homeschool store and will check back next week for the book. I looked at the new text and it looks like just the right thing for us for now.

I made the kids report cards and they are really enjoying them. They used to get $1 a week and now they have the opportunity to earn up to $3 (which they do not earn). I've read everything about how we should not reward kids for good grades or chores (what they are supposed to do regardless) but I stopped believing everything I read (and think) ages ago. There are a million ways to parent/homeschool right and each journey is unique.

Here is what we are using for curriculum.

Daily Work
Morning Basket - Picture book read aloud, memory, math facts
Math (Horizons)
Copywork (could be anything but mostly Draw, Write, Now)
Freedom Journal (choice)
Silent reading 

Weekly Work (1x)
History (U.S. for all/pockets) - Monday (mixture: Joy Hakim's History of US as spine, various library books and videos, history pockets, various History Channel documentaries and study guides including this one.
Geography (U.S. for all/Presidents for Eaden and Lynni) - Tuesday (globes, maps, various websites, atlases, books, tracing paper to trace maps, etc.)
Science (Biology for all/Insects for Eaden and Lynni) - Wednesday (Real Science 4 Kids Biology, Memoria Press Insects)
Nature Study - Thursday (Outdoor Hour Challenges, newsletters, ebooks, and the Handbook of Nature Study)

Spelling/Dictation - Monday (All About Reading/Spelling, Saxon 4)
Grammar - Tuesday (All About Reading/Spelling, Saxon 4)
Reading - Wednesday (All About Reading/Spelling, Saxon 4)
 Literature discussion/The Blue Fairy Book - Thursday (Memoria Press Study Guide)

Here is our report card. I made one and then made copies.


 Some of our history resources. The American Girl books we have are from a later time period than we will likely get to for a while, but I am going to look for some more at the Homeschool Store. We will not rush through history and I have no clue where we might be by Christmas...


 Some notes I took about what I want the kids to learn when it comes to geography. This is mostly for Seun.


 We will focus on U.S. geography but I want to make sure the kids know continents, oceans, and most countries. They already do believe it or not. They love shooting the maps with nerf guns/bows and arrows and finding out where they landed, playing with the Leap Frog globe my dad found at a garage sale, etc. We will also work on presidents with geography. I know that doesn't make sense but it is mainly for Seun. She already knows the geography the others will be studying.



 The Handbook of Nature Study goes along with the Outdoor Hour challenges. I am reading aloud from The Blue Fairy Book. We read Cinderella last week and the discussion went very well.


 Biology is mainly geared toward the younger kids but I am sure Seun and Lynni will take part. Insects is definitely for the older crew.


I have also created a homeschool favorites list of websites on one of our computers for the kids to use.

Dogo News
Nat Geo Kids
Fun Brain
Starfall
ABC Mouse
ABCya
Switch Zoo
PBS Kids
Seterra Geography
Sheppard Software
Cool Math Geography
Khan Academy
Classics for Kids

As I was putting Taven's Freedom Journal entries in his journal I noticed a pattern. They were all about hunting and fishing...no surprise.







Last week we finally got over to the creek with friends. The park was closed most of the summer because of the floods.




As you probably already know, all of my kids are obsessed with cooking and watch shows like Master Chef Junior, Chopped Junior, and Cake Boss whenever they get the chance. More often than not, they are playing Master Chef or Chopped with play-do or all of their pretend food. There is non stop begging for me to let them make something for real in the kitchen. I usually don't feel like messing with it, or being patient, or cleaning up the mess. I simply let them help me with a few things here and there. Well Seun would not stop nagging about making some biscuits from her library book and so I said "fine! Whatever!" I went upstairs and all of the kids got to work downstairs without me. They did absolutely everything from preheating the oven to mixing the ingredients, rolling out the dough, and putting the pans in and taking them out of the oven. The only injury was a minor burn on Ayomide's finger. I really didn't want to come down and see the mess but Seun insisted that I come see how they were doing everything on their own.



Who needs a dog to clean up crumbs when you have an almost 9 month old?


The biscuits were sugar free and a little flour-y but they were proud and ate every single one.


Shina had his last basketball game. Since I was the coach I was not able to get many pictures. I did manage to get this video yesterday while my assistant coach was on the floor with the team.


Off to clean (again) and make some copies in preparation for the week.

2 comments: