Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Fields and forests

Playing in a big huge field is surely better (and easier for myself) than hauling the kids to the museum or the now rule filled, ever present authority watching you, Arboretum right? I had remembered this park from when we sold our homemade bean bags last year and I remembered a huge field with hills on the sides. I thought this could be a good area to do our math and hang out. Plenty of room to run.

When we arrived there was a large iron gate and it was locked shut. Apparently, you have to be a member of the community to gain entrance now. I could see many such female members through the gate all dressed in pink tank tops and black tights. They were doing squats while their babies screamed nearby in strollers. It made me want to puke in my mouth a little bit, but I held it off. Instead of yelling for one of them to open the gate and breaking up their self inflicted torture session we simply parked and walked around the community center, sneaking in the back. Easy peasy.


However, Kunbo kept escaping and scaling the hill to get to the slides. Perhaps we need to go further out into the field next time.



Ayo and Wale tried to get a kite out of a tree...until they realized the tree was covered in bird poop.





Math pages, journals, books, you name it! Kunbo loves to write on all of them.


It wasn't long until the kids ran off to the ditch to play "Boxcar Children."




I always encourage playing with other people's dogs...that way we don't have to actually have a dog ourselves. I have enough poop, pee, hair, and slobber as it is.


At home on Sunday. Sorry the pics are out of order. Kunbo loves making mud. She goes straight to the water spigot and then dumps water in my garden bed. It's probably a good thing that I cannot garden much this year (massive road trip) because she is at the age where she rips everything out. She pulls all of the weeds there now and feeds them to the chickens. I am sure she will not distinguish between weeds and radishes.




The kids wanted to visit Grandma so we went on a little hike in the area first.

Check out Wale's footwear! Like mama, like son.


Kunbo is the most amazing little hiker I have raised yet. She refuses to be held and she does not want her hand held either. Of course, this also means she tries to sprint down rocky hills at full speed and face plants.



Checking out her siblings exploring the creek.




Rainy day at home. About 2 hours of work and then our own delightful pursuits such as reading, drawing, running the streets, whatever. The only rule is no screens or gadgets.




Shina getting frustrated with his little sister.


Luckily, it was almost her naptime. After she went to sleep, I played a few card and board games with him peacefully upstairs...it made him very happy.



I suppose this post is done. I am going to get in some quiet reading time before the baby wakes and we head to the library.

No comments:

Post a Comment