Wow! I haven't posted since last April! That doesn't sound right...
I am going to try to become a consistent blogger! I love, love, love looking back at my blog over the years and I don't want big blank spots for poor Mirek and Lela.
We have been homeschooling through the summer, I started a part-time job as an adult services librarian at the local public library, and we have been eating a majority of unprocessed foods with no preservatives. So as we are getting the hang of all of this (my house has not had a thorough cleaning in weeks...maybe months), I am also trying to figure out our fall plan. We have joined the homeschool association, we are continuing with Girl Scouts, and my son has made a new select baseball team. My oldest daughter will be attending hip hop class on the Saturdays when I do not work and she is joining the junior high group of our homeschool association. They have a planning meeting coming up where the kids brainstorm and decide all of the activities and field trips they want to do together for the year. She was very open to the idea (although I will be dropping her off). I was a bit surprised but very excited for her. Also, Mirek is being tested at the local public elementary school to see if he is eligible for speech therapy. I am also interested in having him tested for dyslexia.
What we are doing now on a consistent basis
Spelling Workout and WordlyWise
Handwriting
Teatimes
Lots of silent reading (summer reading programs)
Teaching Textbooks Math
Horizons Math for Mirek
BookShark Reading with history 4
What we are adding in the fall
Activities with the homeschool group (we have already signed up to participate in the Kids Holiday Market)
Brave Writer Jot it Down (reread and implement more), Arrow guides, and Partnership Writing for my oldest two
BookShark Science 4 - Magnetism and Electricity
Chris Kesler Science/Interactive Science Notebooks
Interactive Math notebooks
Math and Science doodle notes
Mirek K BookShark curriculum (the entire thing!)
Rosetta Stone Homeschool Spanish
Squilt/Music Appreciation
I bought a keyboard and lesson books!
Toy/activity shelf downstairs for Lela
____________________________
This sounds like a lot when it is listed this way, but we will have our work on a loop schedule. I do not even remotely follow the BookShark schedule. We are going to take a break from Spelling Workout and WordlyWise and simply live the Brave Writer lifestyle. The kids will be working on monthly writing projects and we will be using the Arrow book guides. We are adding music/music appreciation and we will make math fun (think games!). I am really trying to work on what I have avoided or what has been hard in the past. So more math, science, and music. My kids are strong in the language arts because I am strong in the language arts. This year, we conquer our (aka my) fears.
I think we will start our days with science. I like science, but it takes a lot more planning than other subjects. This is why I am using the BookShark program. Everything is laid out for me and the supplies are included. Adding interactive notebooks and doodle notes from Teachers Pay Teachers would just be some extra fun.
We will rotate Science with Reading with History (BookShark 4). We have been doing this over the summer and I like it. The kids narrate and keep a history timeline.
After History/Science, we either read our Brave Writer Arrow selection or work on one of the Brave Writer projects from Jot it Down or Partnership Writing.
Next the kids will do their Teaching Textbooks Math and other independent work while I hang with the youngest two.
The Brave Writer schedule from My Little Poppies has worked for us in the past.
Monday-Music
Tuesday-Teatime
Wednesday-Nature
Thursday-Art
Friday-Freewrite and Journals
Saturday-Games and movies
HOWEVER! I am moving all of this to Friday! I do not work on Fridays so we can take our time. I worry if I try to shove these things into our Mon-Thur they will get lost. I get ready for work at 2:30 and I'm afraid our work will not be restful with all of this on the schedule.
So, here is how our week might look.
Monday -Thursday
loop schedule (science and BW Arrow rotate with History and BW project)
BookShark Science Magnetism & Electricity (with interative notebooks/doodle notes)
Brave Writer Arrow book/guide
(or)
BookShark Reading with History (read alouds with narrations/timeline)
Brave Writer Project/Jot it Down/Partnership Writing (also work on typing [free online] and type up writing projects)
(and)
daily
Math (Teaching Textbooks/doodle notes/games)
Independent Work (Cursive, Rosetta Stone Spanish [Eaden], Silent Reading)
While the oldest three are doing Math and Independent Work I am working with Mirek through BookShark K.
Friday
Music-keyboard and Squilt
Nature Journals
Poetry Teatime
Freewrite and personal journals (fun pens and washi tape)
Art project
Board games and movie night
The older kids all have different levels of Math. Eaden is required to do more and longer written narrations. She is also the only one working on Rosetta Stone Spanish. The kids have reading journals, narration journals, nature journals, history timelines, and personal journals that they keep. We will be adding Science and Math interactive notebooks to these. Don't worry! We do not do everything everyday! I will show examples soon.
I am off on Wednesdays so that is likely the day we would take any field trips. Also, we have Girl Scouts most Thursdays at 1. I am thinking Science/History are what is going to be left out on those days. So we will just pick up where we left off the following Monday. I repeat, we DO NOT follow the BookShark timeline for either.
___________________________________________
For me, personally, I am starting a homeschool support group at the library and I have joined Read Aloud Revival. I have been listening to Brave Writer and Homeschool Sisters podcasts.
_______________________________________________
I have not done a good job taking pictures this summer. I took some crappy ones on my phone for Instagram, but that's about it.
My baking companion.
Slime master.
Teatime prep.
The boys were banished from this particular teatime because they were acting a fool. We had homemade ice cream and chocolate chip cookies.
Cousin sleepover.
Lots of games these days.
Snail mail for Great Grandma Scott.
See you soon! I promise!
I am going to try to become a consistent blogger! I love, love, love looking back at my blog over the years and I don't want big blank spots for poor Mirek and Lela.
We have been homeschooling through the summer, I started a part-time job as an adult services librarian at the local public library, and we have been eating a majority of unprocessed foods with no preservatives. So as we are getting the hang of all of this (my house has not had a thorough cleaning in weeks...maybe months), I am also trying to figure out our fall plan. We have joined the homeschool association, we are continuing with Girl Scouts, and my son has made a new select baseball team. My oldest daughter will be attending hip hop class on the Saturdays when I do not work and she is joining the junior high group of our homeschool association. They have a planning meeting coming up where the kids brainstorm and decide all of the activities and field trips they want to do together for the year. She was very open to the idea (although I will be dropping her off). I was a bit surprised but very excited for her. Also, Mirek is being tested at the local public elementary school to see if he is eligible for speech therapy. I am also interested in having him tested for dyslexia.
What we are doing now on a consistent basis
Spelling Workout and WordlyWise
Handwriting
Teatimes
Lots of silent reading (summer reading programs)
Teaching Textbooks Math
Horizons Math for Mirek
BookShark Reading with history 4
What we are adding in the fall
Activities with the homeschool group (we have already signed up to participate in the Kids Holiday Market)
Brave Writer Jot it Down (reread and implement more), Arrow guides, and Partnership Writing for my oldest two
BookShark Science 4 - Magnetism and Electricity
Chris Kesler Science/Interactive Science Notebooks
Interactive Math notebooks
Math and Science doodle notes
Mirek K BookShark curriculum (the entire thing!)
Rosetta Stone Homeschool Spanish
Squilt/Music Appreciation
I bought a keyboard and lesson books!
Toy/activity shelf downstairs for Lela
____________________________
This sounds like a lot when it is listed this way, but we will have our work on a loop schedule. I do not even remotely follow the BookShark schedule. We are going to take a break from Spelling Workout and WordlyWise and simply live the Brave Writer lifestyle. The kids will be working on monthly writing projects and we will be using the Arrow book guides. We are adding music/music appreciation and we will make math fun (think games!). I am really trying to work on what I have avoided or what has been hard in the past. So more math, science, and music. My kids are strong in the language arts because I am strong in the language arts. This year, we conquer our (aka my) fears.
I think we will start our days with science. I like science, but it takes a lot more planning than other subjects. This is why I am using the BookShark program. Everything is laid out for me and the supplies are included. Adding interactive notebooks and doodle notes from Teachers Pay Teachers would just be some extra fun.
We will rotate Science with Reading with History (BookShark 4). We have been doing this over the summer and I like it. The kids narrate and keep a history timeline.
After History/Science, we either read our Brave Writer Arrow selection or work on one of the Brave Writer projects from Jot it Down or Partnership Writing.
Next the kids will do their Teaching Textbooks Math and other independent work while I hang with the youngest two.
The Brave Writer schedule from My Little Poppies has worked for us in the past.
Monday-Music
Tuesday-Teatime
Wednesday-Nature
Thursday-Art
Friday-Freewrite and Journals
Saturday-Games and movies
HOWEVER! I am moving all of this to Friday! I do not work on Fridays so we can take our time. I worry if I try to shove these things into our Mon-Thur they will get lost. I get ready for work at 2:30 and I'm afraid our work will not be restful with all of this on the schedule.
So, here is how our week might look.
Monday -Thursday
loop schedule (science and BW Arrow rotate with History and BW project)
BookShark Science Magnetism & Electricity (with interative notebooks/doodle notes)
Brave Writer Arrow book/guide
(or)
BookShark Reading with History (read alouds with narrations/timeline)
Brave Writer Project/Jot it Down/Partnership Writing (also work on typing [free online] and type up writing projects)
(and)
daily
Math (Teaching Textbooks/doodle notes/games)
Independent Work (Cursive, Rosetta Stone Spanish [Eaden], Silent Reading)
While the oldest three are doing Math and Independent Work I am working with Mirek through BookShark K.
Friday
Music-keyboard and Squilt
Nature Journals
Poetry Teatime
Freewrite and personal journals (fun pens and washi tape)
Art project
Board games and movie night
The older kids all have different levels of Math. Eaden is required to do more and longer written narrations. She is also the only one working on Rosetta Stone Spanish. The kids have reading journals, narration journals, nature journals, history timelines, and personal journals that they keep. We will be adding Science and Math interactive notebooks to these. Don't worry! We do not do everything everyday! I will show examples soon.
I am off on Wednesdays so that is likely the day we would take any field trips. Also, we have Girl Scouts most Thursdays at 1. I am thinking Science/History are what is going to be left out on those days. So we will just pick up where we left off the following Monday. I repeat, we DO NOT follow the BookShark timeline for either.
___________________________________________
For me, personally, I am starting a homeschool support group at the library and I have joined Read Aloud Revival. I have been listening to Brave Writer and Homeschool Sisters podcasts.
_______________________________________________
My baking companion.
Slime master.
Teatime prep.
The boys were banished from this particular teatime because they were acting a fool. We had homemade ice cream and chocolate chip cookies.
Cousin sleepover.
Lots of games these days.
Snail mail for Great Grandma Scott.
See you soon! I promise!
No comments:
Post a Comment