It's February and most homeschool moms are talking about the February homeschool slump. Our family, on the other hand, we are just finding our groove.
Some of my New Year's Resolutions
Only use what we have and resources from the library (I already really want to purchase Partnership Writing, but haven't yet...).
Make all copies beforehand (I made this resolution with our old printer in mind because something was always happening to it. However, we purchased a new wonderful printer and I can resume procrastination).
2 days science 2 days history (this is going very well and we have been doing 2 days worth of history and science on these days as well).
Grade and correct at night, feedback on LA in morning (I have not been doing this at all! I have a goal to take their work with me to dance and baseball).
Reading Challenge Modern Mrs. Darcy - keep track of fiction and nonfiction for 2020 (not much to keep track of unfortunately).
Eaden health - do it with her, more fruits, vegetables and protein/iron (so far, so good...for Eaden anyway).
Spend no money - only use cash I have, kids have to buy things for themselves (all good here).
Cleaning schedule (lol).
Monthly or bimonthly blog posts (getting this monthly one done now...).
Brave Writer - journals with kids and writing project (starting this Thursday with a friend and her family. She will do science and I will do Language Arts).
______________________________________________________________
From my planner: "As homeschooling has become mainstream, it has also become more convoluted with a plethora of available activities. Socialization, exercise, and outings are important and have their place, but the primary purpose of education is... drum roll please, you don't want to miss it..., education. That's right, if you are homeschooling, it's pretty important to actually school the kids."
With this in mind, I said no to co-op. My kids didn't really want to do it and keeping our days free is how we are able to be so busy in the evenings. Plus, we go out of town a lot and co-op is on Mondays which is usually when we come back in town.
__________________________________________-
Books read
fiction
The Tea Girl of Hummingbird Lane
Exit West
Homegoing
started Snow Child
started Snow Child
nonfiction
started White Fragility
_______________________________________
I wrote this on our first day back in January...
Very first day back and guess what? I have to wash hair! This isn't your regular 5 minute hair wash. My daughter and I get in our swimsuits, get in the bath together, and continue the process that was begun the night before (untwisting her hair, brushing it out, and then retwisting it into bigger twists). Once in the shower, section by section, I wash with shampoo while brushing out the twists, rinse, add conditioner, and retwist. Then once all sections are complete, the conditioner has to sit, before rinsing it out, and brushing through each twist again with a leave in and retwisting. Then once out of the bath, the real work begins. Styling her hair. Mini twists or braids while she does her work or we watch a documentary. So not the best start to our back to school week, but such is life.
__________________________________________
Eaden's photos from the month.
No comments:
Post a Comment