Ice storm thoughts - we rely too much on others (and these are not individuals who we know personally obviously), we can do nothing for ourselves. Yes we can still use the grid and grocery stores and public water and appreciate them but do not be lost and helpless when they fail. Yes I love Pinterest and Pandora and my stove, but I can still enjoy myself and other simple pleasures when the internet is down and electricity is out. I can still provide myself with basic needs and comforts. However, the basic needs part needs work and that's my goal (has been for some time). Drastically improve the urban homestead :)
I have started a gratitude journal (sort of). I have a self care/health journal and I have started keeping a list of things I am grateful for there. I can be very happy with a calm life. I don't need grand things to happen to me or to travel the world. This doesn't mean I don't dream or plan trips, but I am content with what I have. I realize how fortunate I am when my basic needs are met and for having conveniences (I sometimes take for granted) that are a luxury to others around the world.
I had a plan to replace drinking more than 2 alcoholic drinks a day with exercise. Instead of having a third drink, exercise. I don't often have a third drink but I did for a few days. I stopped that but never picked up exercise lol.
I started keeping a habit tracker which has been helpful. The best thing for me is that I've gotten over having to be perfect (how I was when I was younger). If I just try to get to most of the habits and I don't give up when I'm not perfect, then there is still progress. Crazy right?
_______________________________
So after much thought, I have decided for Eaden that we will not use Oak Meadow. As much as I would love to have everything laid out for me, it is just way too expensive. There really is no need to pay for an education these days. Everything can be found for free (or brought to you by your tax payer dollars) with a little research. Number one resource: our library!!!
I will probably buy some things here and there but not a curriculum or planned courses for hundreds of dollars. Experiences, kits, supplies, specific books we may want to keep for reference, etc. That's where the money will go. She will probably homeschool with journals (she loves pretty journals) with a lot of inspiration from The Living Page.
Databases to use
EBSCO Learning Express - Microsoft Office course/SAT and Act practice as well but many colleges do not require these anymore.
Teaching Books Database - Tons of resources for literature (no more paying for Brave Writer).
Opposing Viewpoints
Flipster
Teach research using these resources (databases) instead of wikipedia/youtube, etc
Transparent Language
Genealogy
These I have listed so far are through the county library. I am also going to get my city card right and use their databases as well. The library offers so much and I am so so so grateful. Even when they are not physically open, we still have access to numerous services. We will also use other free resources such as Khan Academy, Big History Project, MOOCS, and others. Eaden's high school plan is a work in progress but I think she will enjoy it.
_______________________________________
No comments:
Post a Comment